December 16, 2015

My HBS Creatin Contest entry... here it is!

Arrgh I really had to convince myself to post my entry pictures after seeing all the phenomenal builds that participants made. Brae, Pepper, they did an amazing job. But yeah, I kind of promised it with my post yesterday, so here they are, my pictures...

"The Record Shop"

For my first contest ever, I decided to work on something that makes me happy and that I feel comfortable with. In my record shop I sell more than 1300 records (at least that's where I stopped counting!) and it's all new stuff. From Minimal to House, from Techno to Chillout, you will find all new releases in this little record shop. If you're lucky you might even find some really good records on sale. You can have a seat at the turntables on the left and take your time to choose your favorite records. 


Don't be disturbed by "Lazy" who is always sleeping at the back of the shop. If you want, you can select a magazine or a book about music production from the shelves at the back of the shop. We also sell some really cool T-Shirts (Fire extinguisher and wall phone are from Delph Miniatures, the folding chair is from Miniatures.com, I don't remember where the green bottle is from though, the rest is made by me - even the door that I had to create in size for the brick wall). 

In the next two pictures you can see the shop from the outside - I had to use Gimp for these, as I did not have the time to find a fitting dark background. Also with the bad weather we had lately, the light was just not enough outside. The hardest and most time consuming work for me was to create the sidewalk out of the mdf plates. For this I used the tutorials of Lazy Forger.



I placed most of the items that I bought at the cashier area. The little bonsai and the open bag of chips are from LugartPetit, the computer is from Lilu Miniature, the wireless phone is from Miniatures.com, the cash register and the CD racks are from Delph Miniatures. Speakers, framed vinyls, wall accessories other than the phone are made by me.

I really like how the security camera located outside of the shop turned out, I simply used polymer clay for it. The wheelie bin and the mp3 player are from Delph Miniatures as well.




Ahh voila, it's done and sent. I hope you like it. I can finally get some rest now and get to sleep without thinking what else I need to do on this project - except, of course, I already started thinking about the next project... >.<

31 comments:

  1. Well, now see...I have the perfect place to shop for more LPs!!!! This is fantastic. I think I shopped here and then went to the bar over at Mini Mod Pod. :D You've captured the feel of a record shop perfectly, and the fact that you made the electronics is beyond awesome! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE IT!!! You did a great job! It looks life sized, which to me is greatest compliment. All the little details, the signs and stuff on the wall, the security camera, the alley....fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all your details. It really looks like an old record shop from back in the day :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just showed this to Husband, who has an extensive LP collection and has rummaged through many a record store. He says " spot on, except it needs more dust...do you think she found a way for it to smell musty?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dust!... *sighs* I knew I forgot something! I had it in mind at some point but somehow I have forgotten it. I think while trying to create a rather contemporary shop, it totally slipped my mind. That's why many of the records are releases of recent months. Unfortunately I could not make the shop smell musty but the beats were definitely on while I was working on it! Thanks for all your comments :D

      Delete
    2. Just ignore my smart as husband, it's lovely dust free 😀

      Delete
  5. Wowza! This is awesome. It's exactly what I remember record stores were like. I hear that vinyl is making a comeback in real life too! These shops may just come back. You did an amazing job! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. Did you burn any incense while making the build?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just spectacular! It has a Daft Punk vibe, and I can just feel the bass coming through from the sidewalk! Really, really, excellent! I know it is silly, but the emergency exit door just tickles me! PERFECT! The handle and all!!! Good luck! This is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a Great Project!!! I can't imagine the tedium of making all of those record albums but it has made the entire store so BELIEVABLE! The turntables and the speakers as well as the security cameras are Fabulous, and one can picture spending a several hours sifting through each sleeve looking for that special track, from days gone by.
    Beautifully done!

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks amazing! I am still in awe of your skills at making things from clay - first the headphones and now the security camera!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Susi, this is phenomenal! What an amazing space and what fantastic detail. I am totally in awe of the different designs that have been born from a simple kit. You should be really proud of your achievement.
    *standing ovation* =0D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Back to take another look :) I was squinting at covers, trying to make out any I recognized (nope). Then I notice the bar on the exit door. Gasp! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. susi, this is a total surprise - making a shop out of it. what an excellent idea! and your attention to details is absolutely stunning. well done - congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is fantastic!
    The details are amazing.
    I love it all, but especially the speakers above the counter.
    Well done,
    Alice

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an amazing piece of work! Perfect proportions and perfect details. It's so inviting to come in and shop. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think it's excellent! Well done.
    Do you have an LP tutorial? I'd love to custom 'cut' some records. I'll bet you can make them blindfolded by now!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Since record shops are some of my favorite places in the world, I'm thrilled to see your project. You did such a great job! I want to wander inside and look through all the LPs!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love it! It is a perfect Record Shop in every detail! Congratulations!
    ..I'd like to pop in.. :)
    Hugs
    Kikka

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is such a great idea Susi, I love it! It's perfectly executed and you've done an amazing job with all the details like the surveillancecamera, the speakers, the pavement etc etc. And that's a LOT of records! :D And don't you EVER say things again like you only show because you promised: if this isn't well worth showing, I don't know what is!

    ReplyDelete
  19. After another long day of work, I cannot express what reading your comments mean to me. The first thing I did coming home, was to open the blog to see if anybody left a comment and then I saw all your comments, and so many! Thank you so much for your kind words, they make me so happy!

    I will try to do the LP tutorial (for you Icicle :D ) and share some of the textures. Please let me know if you want any other tutorials or textures, I will gladly share.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Tutorials! Oh my, yes, please. I'd love to know how you made all stuff on walks by the exit door...looks to be am alarm pad, thermostat, and fire alarm pull, maybe?....and of course the exit door with the bar.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Excellent work, the details are really wonderful all those records look amazing. Best of luck in the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love it love it LOVE IT!
    Now I feel the need to pull out my record player and records from when I was DJing back in the day... :-D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Suzi, You have done an amazing job. It is so realistic - so much fun to find all the details you have included. Thank you. I can well imagine the late nights spent making sure it was finished on time.
    Regards Janine

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sorry Susi for misspelling your name. I did want to mention that I thought the final photo to be terrific - such nice atmosphere.
    Regards Janine

    ReplyDelete
  25. Qué magnífica escena!!! Te felicito, resulta preciosa e impactante! He conocido tu blog a través de Drora y si me das tu permiso, me quedaré por aquí.
    Un beso! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Bellissimo lavoro, me ne sono innamorata a prima vista, ricco di dettagli e semplicemente perfetto
    Complimenti

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wonderful! I grew up in a record store/headshop in the 70s-90's & you really captured the feel as well as the look! I do hope there is a faint scent of incense in there somehwere, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  28. First of all, I'm sorry for being so awfully late, Susi! I saw your comment on my blog and thought, let's see what Susi has done lately, because I haven't got any update from your blog :(. (You have to know that I often don't get updates, blogspot is since years very annoying to my readerslist, so: I'm sorry!! Having said this.....let's write a comment on your fabulous project of this reocrd shop, but after reading all of the comments I think there's nothing to the tiniest detail left unspoken ;O. I was completely surprised/flabbergasted by your design and ideas for this contest and seeing all of the selfmade miniatures, Susi, it's truly perfect!!! The atmosphere in your miniature shop is just the real thing from years ago, for me it's pure nostalgia. It's so life-like that you can easily think that you're in there :)!
    Ilona

    ReplyDelete